The BigPicture development team is always working to improve our software, which means regular updates. Here’s a sample of what we’ve added to our latest deployment of BigPicture Beta on May 5, 2015:
Attach Custom Shapes
This option is available under the Attach Shapes category, and can be found via Attach Shapes > Custom. This is simply a way that you can add Excel shapes to the selected topic(s).
By utilizing the Custom command a default light yellow call-out shape will be attached to the selected topic(s) and will move with the topic(s). Simply select that topic(s) that you would like to attach an image to, right click and choose the Attach Shapes > Custom > Add New command. (NOTE: You can also access this command from the Topic Tools icon in the BigPicture ribbon.)
Here are some additional notes describing how this command can improve your maps:
- The default light yellow call-out shape will appear above top-most topic selected.
- You can customize your shape by utilizing Excel’s standard capabilities of changing the color, shape effects, size, font, text, etc.
- If you decide to move the topic(s) that the custom shape is attached to, the shape will move also.
- Custom shapes can overlap.
- Multiple custom shapes can be added to the same topic, or group of topics. All of which can be moved and re-sized. (NOTE: To access any custom shapes that may be hidden behind another one, simply right click and utilize the Send to Back and Bring to Front commands from the pop-up menu.)
- If you collapse (hide) any of the topics that the shape is attached to, the shape will collapse (hide) with it.
- A custom shape can be to a single topic or multiple topics.
If you would like to use the same style custom shape (or any other existing “non-BigPicture” Excel shape) that already exists:
- Select the topic(s) that you would like to add that custom shape to FIRST
- Choose the Attach Shapes > Custom > Copy Existing command.
- At this point a dialog will appear asking you to select the shape that you would like to copy. Click on the existing shape that you would like to duplicate.
- Click OK.
NOTE: To remove a custom shape, just click on the shape and hit your delete key on your keyboard.
Click here for a complete overview of BigPicture updates.